There are lots of tutorial flowing on the web regarding the installation instruction of Gitorious 2.4 on Ubuntu, however the problem is (at the time of writing @ 2013-06-20):
- The instruction does not point out which version of Gitorious it is installing
- Some of them are just copying from other website.
- As of Gitorious 2.3/2.4 (I forgot), the ultrasphinx thing is deprecated and is switched to thinkingsphinx (yes, if you don’t know, than the guide you are reading is bad)
- The instructions you really always mentioned about Ubuntu 9/10/11.
Now I have spent hours on trying it on my configuration, and now I can tell you firmly what is the success factor:
My software configuration
- Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS 64 bit
- Gitorious version 2.4.12 (most recent at the time of writing)
- MySQL Server 5.5
now, the magic secret is this guide from hswong3i.
The difference is that:
- I just use stomp as the messaging service, instead of ActiveMQ.
Interesting difference of this guide against other “normal guides” you saw from the web:
- The ‘git-daemon’ service is not installed. It is for git protocol cloning, which I don’t need in my company’s configuration.
- It knows the change of ultrasphinx to thinkingsphinx, which only a very few of guides mentioned it.
- The only services under /etc/init.d are: git-poller, git-thinking_sphinx, stomp.
- The directories under /var/www/gitorious – repositories/, tarballs/ and tarballs-work/ should be created and configured in the config file config/gitorious.yml. Many guides does not mentioned this, especially Gitorous’s official guide.
Some difference I did against this guide:
- When installing RubyGem, my command is `REALLY_GEM_UPDATE_SYSTEM=1 gem update –system 1.8.7` – a version string is attached.