Please refer to the post at this link: http://www.statusq.org/archives/2012/11/16/4613/
- After a power failure or whatever recent, the machine shutdown abruptly.
- Upon reboot, it seems to the sysop that the machine can never come back.
- You google a bit but find no resolution. Keyword: Ubuntu, GRUB.
- The grub script has a default timeout = -1, which makes the menu does not have timeout.
- For Ubuntu 12.04 and later, there is a option in /etc/default/grub to disable this type of timeout called GRUB_RECORDFAIL_TIMEOUT.
- To solve this, set GRUB_RECORDFAIL_TIMEOUT = 0 to disable the timeout, or a positive value for a delay in seconds. If set to -1, the menu will never timeout.
- After changing the configuration, please run update-grub to make the change in effect.