One day, when I install PostgreSQL on Windows, it always report the following error:
Problem running the post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly.
… when the installation progress bar reached the end.
- Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
- PostgreSQL Server 9.1 64-bit (installer: postgresql-9.1.8-1-windows-x64.exe)
After doing a bit searching, I found this link which contains the solution.
Here I will recap the solutions here:
- Uninstall PostgreSQL
- Run command: net user postgres /delete
- Click: Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Configure advanced user profile properties -> delete all “Unknown User” instances that seem to be left from PostgreSQL installation.
- Run: compmgmt.msc -> Click Local Users and Groups -> Users -> New User… -> User name: postgres, Password: postgrespass -> Create
- Run: compmgmt.msc -> Click Local Users and Groups -> Users -> postgres -> Member of -> Add… -> Administrators -> OK
- copy the PostgreSQL installer postgresql-8.4.9-1-windows.exe to C:\
- Run: runas /user:postgres cmd.exe -> cd \ -> postgresql-8.4.9-1-windows.exe -> installed successfully without errors. Checked data folder and confirmed files created successfully.
- Run: compmgmt.msc -> Local Users and Groups -> Users -> postgres -> Member of -> Administrators -> Remove
- Run: compmgmt.msc -> Local Users and Groups -> Users -> postgres -> Member of -> Add… -> Power Users -> OK
Voila! Installation completed successfully!