This guide teaches you to increase your Dropbox's space via the referral trick under Windows.
This technique use the following facts:
- Dropbox allows you to refer your friends via a URL.
- When your friend register using that URL, installed Dropbox client and login, you the referrer’s account will get spaced increase (500 MB at the time of writing)
- However, if you think you can get space gain by doing Step 2 on the same computer, Dropbox will consider the referral is not eligible.
We use the following method to bypass Dropbox’s checking
- We setup a “virtual machine” (virtual PC) on your main PC. A virtual machine acts like an operating system (e.g. Microsoft Windows) running inside an operating system.
- We use a MAC address changer software to change the network adapter’s address to fool Dropbox that we are not doing the whole thing on the same PC.
- Install VirtualBox
- Install the Dropbox virtual machine appliance either by making it by yourself, or download from me.
- Create dummy Dropbox accounts and login.
- Download the VirtualBox installer for Windows at here.
- Install VirtualBox. You may need to click “Yes” several times during installation.
- When complete, you can find the item “Oracle VM VirtualBox” in your Start menu.
Install the Dropbox Virtual Machine Appliance
The appliance has a file extension of .ova. Ask me if you want to get one.
Once you have that appliance:
- Double click on the .ova file
- Make sure to check the “Reinitialize the MAC address of all network cards” checkbox
- Click the “Import” button
Once you succeed, start the virtual machine
Increase your Dropbox Account’s Space Using Dummy Dropbox Accounts
- Go to http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/ and copy your referral link. The link looks like http://db.tt/kp0zF3iO. Copy down that referral link in a place e.g. notepad
- Logout Dropbox, and enter the referral link and register a new Dropbox account. This account is used for increasing your main Dropbox account’s space.
- The email need not to be valid, but please enter something which looks like a valid email address.
- Copy down the dummy Dropbox account’s email and password.
- When registered successfully, logout from Dropbox web site.
- In your Dropbox virtual machine, open the software “TMAC” (Technitium MAC Address Changer” and “Dropbox”.
- In TMAC, click the button “Random MAC Address” on the lower left and then click “Change Now!”. Wait until it shows a dialog “MAC Address was changed successfully”.
- Now open the Dropbox client in the virtual machine, click “I already have a Dropbox account”
- Enter the dummy Dropbox account login information. Remember to change the “Computer Name” to something different for every dummy account you use!
- Click Next
- Look at the Dropbox client in you main computer. You should see a popup notification telling you the Dropbox account space is increased!
- To gain more space, repeat from Step 1.