This will teach you how to increase your Dropbox space by yourself alone as described in this post.
- Oracle VirtualBox 4.x installed.
- You have Microsoft Windows XP installation CD available (we use .ISO CD image in this guide)
- Technitium MAC Address Changer
- Dropbox Windows client (download page)
- Create a virtual machine
- Name: Dropbox Maximizer
- RAM: 128 MB
- Disk: 2 GB, dynamically allocated
- Mount the Windows XP installation CD or ISO image to the virtual machine (Settings > Storage)
- Start the virtual machine
- Proceed the Windows installation. Remove any necessary components (games, etc) and language pack (English is enough). When done, reboot the virtual machine and goes into the Windows desktop.
- Install the Technitium MAC Address Change (TMAC)
- Install the Dropbox client.
- Install the Guest Addons by click the virtual machine’s window menu: Devices > Install Guest Additions… .
- Shutdown Windows from the Start Menu. The virtual machine will stop automatically.
- In the VirtualBox application, from the menu select File > Export Appliance… .
- Select the machine “Dropbox Maximizer”.
- Select the destination of the appliance file. The filename usually ended with .ova extension.
- Click “Export.
Now you can share the VirtualBox appliance to others!
A very lite installation
If you use nLite, you can trim your Windows installation to a very small one.
Important things to configure:
- Load the ‘nLite’ preset to remove most the thing
- Make sure the following items are enable:
- Zip folder.
- Internet Explorer.
- You must disable the Minimum hard disk space requirement. Windows XP requires you to have at least 1371 MB.
- If so, you can create a virtual machine with disk size of 900 MB only.